In an effort to really stretch my intellectual limits, I picked a VERY chemical project to do my literature seminar on. And I have to admit, being a biologist in a chemist's playground is not all that easy, and is absolutely 300x harder than I thought it would be!
As I'm sitting here attempting to read the scientific literature, I'm finding that academics are truly lazy, and will come with any acronyms that they can to avoid spelling out words (and actually putting some work into writing their manuscripts!). Apparently, I am not the only one who thinks this acronym fascination is a little crazy ...

Comic courtesy of and copyrighted by PhD Comics
Hmmm... .maybe I should say that one of the major hurdles in my graduate career is understanding crazy acronyms (let alone thinking of them myself!) :)
4 comments:
good comment, CM ... btw, I especially like the Russian style of pronounceable acronyms, which use word fragments (like "Komsomol") instead of strings of letters (like "D-O-D", "S-P-C-A", etc.) ... see Syllabic Abbreviation in Wikipedia ...
Thanks Mark! :)
The funny thing about this reading is ... they're violating all of the acronym "rules" put forth in the comic ... I'm reading about PITAS and RITAS, haha.
At my previous employer, or at least in the unit in which I worked, if someone used an acronymn in a presentation or discussion without first defining it, they would be fined 10 units of their national currency.
And lastly, never answer a phone labeled "POTUS."
Giggling
That's hilarious Ken! I totally want to try it :) Not that anyone would ever think I was POTUS, haha.
Post a Comment