I'm putting a little historical perspective on final exams this lovely, cold, rainy morning. Let's look at how I've approached finals during my educational experience, starting with my freshman year of college until now, my 2nd year of graduate school.
Freshman year: Finals? I've never taken those before...
Sophomore year: Freak out and make notecards starting the summer beforehand - it's Organic Chemistry year!
Junior year: Study long and study hard ... Last year to make an impression before you start applying for grad school!
Senior year: What finals? Purposely take classes that don't have finals or lets you exempt them if you have an A.
1st year grad school: Freak out again! Grad school finals have to be 300x harder than undergrad finals, right?
2nd year grad school: Completely don't give a damn... You have more important things to worry about - like oral exams in a few months.
Now, given that historical perspective, here I am, 30 minutes before my final exam in Advanced Grad Cell Biology, and I'm writing on my blog about my lack of concern for this final. I'll leave all the worrying to the 1st year grad students in the class! After all, they're doing enough of it for the rest of us.
The first year grad students convinced our professor that there is SO much material on this exam (kind of true, but if you can't handle it, you shouldn't be in grad school!). In light of that, our professor has decided to let us take a "cheat sheet" into the exam with us. The rule is - you can have a page of notes but they have to be in your own handwriting - no typing, no copying figures onto the page, etc. Normally, I wouldn't take advantage of this kind of thing (see statement above regarding "if you can't handle it...", but I've decided to post my cheat sheet just to show everyone how low I've slumped in my non-studying for this exam:
My only "studying" for this exam involved making my "cheat sheet" (about an hour's worth of work). That's approximately 4 pt. font in the writing (sad, I know).
How far we fall...
No comments:
Post a Comment