Saturday, December 13, 2008

Breaking the 15 mile "black box"

When I was a swimmer, I had a mental block at the 25K distance.  I didn't know how the heck I was ever going to survive the 25K when I swam it.  20K? Absolutely fine.  23K? No problem. 25K? Impossible.  It was just one of those mental blocks, that while being completely irrational, was very real at the time.  I fretted for the entire month before my coaches took me on my first 25K training swim - everything from cold sweats when "25K" got mentioned, to staying up late at night worrying about it.  The 25K didn't turn out to be that bad - in fact, it turned out to be the event I swam (and won) at Nationals for years thereafter, and was/is one of my favorite swimming events.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that almost a decade (Ah?!) later, I had (notice the past tense!) a similar mental block with running.  The distance - 15 miles.  Half marathon?  No problem.  14 miles - sure I did it once.  15 miles - absolutely not happening.  I knew my 15 mile day would have to come in preparing for the marathon, but I was somehow hoping I could put it off for a little while and hang out at the 14 mile distance.

Ken provided the "tough love" as he calls it - just the catalyst I needed to make the conscious choice to run the full 15 miles.  In a nice way, he basically told me to suck it up and get it over with.  Mark and I were already planning a 14 mile run, and in a moment of temporary insanity, I asked him to make it into a 15 mile loop (he's really good at that!), and I gave him explicit instructions not to let me chicken out.  And we didn't... We ran a total of 15.3 miles (didn't walk a step!), and then I broke down and we walked/jogged the last 0.4 miles back to Mark's house, for a grand total of 15.7 miles on our feet for the day!  Mark even admitted at one point during the run that I was pacing him!!

Thanks to Ken and Mark, the little black box around 15 miles has been broken ... well, at least I thought it had.  According to Ken (dishing out more tough love, which I secretly love, and as soon as I post a statement like that on my blog it's no longer a secret), 2 more 15-mile barriers remain: 
 
"No, I think those were Horton miles (1 HM = 1.1 statute mile).  And 15.3 miles = only 13.3 nautical miles, which, you as a swimmer, are obligated to use."
It seems like a challenge has been issued ... 15 nautical miles = 17.3 statute miles.  I have to run 17.3 miles to really break the little black box around "15."  Sounds like my next long run (in 2 weeks) is going to be 15 nautical miles, and you know the best thing about that ... I'm not scared of it!

Check out Mark's report for all of the gory details. :)

With that, 15.3 miles down.  Ken, thank you for the kick-in-the-butt motivation.  Mark, as always, thank you for being an amazing running partner and for not letting me cheat myself today!  Oh yeah, and the post-run Fritos and root beer were amazing!

6 comments:

zhurnaly said...

you did great, CM --- I was particularly impressed with the way that you attacked the hills (and there were many) ... good job! I think you'll find longer distances go even better if you take occasional tiny walk breaks, and if you eat ~100 calories or so per hour ... I don't think either of us got nearly enough energy from the electrolytes we were sipping, and we probably became somewhat dehydrated also ... not too bad for runs of less than 3 hours, but at longer distances that can lead to trouble ...

BTW, according to the TIMES (London) the full moon we saw as we started was exceptionally big and bright --- see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/weather/article5327206.ece for details.

Many tnx for a fine run, CM! - ^z

Cara Marie said...

It was a nice full moon!! Enough light to not need any headlamps. :)

I will definitely try and be more disciplined in popping the sports beans during future long runs. That probably would have helped some of the cramping I was feeling in the last mile and a half.

Thanks again for a great run Mark! :)

Cara Marie said...

Funny ... I just realized that my "mental block" seems to revolve around the number 15. A 25K is 15.6 miles!

I guess some things don't change! :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing to see the progress you've made over the past year! Congrats on getting past your (completely mental) block.

zhurnaly said...

OK, see 2008-12-13 - Rock Creek West Loop for my belated report, including the immortal verses:

Hip-hop, the rabbit sees CM and me
Approach. It stops to stare from neighbor's lawn,
Then flees to pop through hedge and out of sight.
We round the block, setting about our trial
Of miles on legs and hearts. Clouds part, moon looms
In west. Dawn breaks as we make haste by trail
Through frosty morn, up hill, down creek, climb west
On street, sip drinks from hip-pack flasks, dodge cars,
And greet the other runners whom we meet.
CM dances in place as traffic makes
Her wait to cross. Our pace persists until
A final steep ascent dents plans to race
For home. Now we commence a walk and then,
Recovered, run again. Fifteen-plus miles
Has brought us back full circle. So we split
A candy bar, to celebrate the trek:
New record distance for CM—for now!

(^_^)

Cara Marie said...

The funniest thing about your poem is that I didn't recognize it was iambic pentameter! (And I had an English minor at G'town ... Ssshhh... don't tell anyone. It might run my "mad scientist" rep!)