Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Profound thoughts: Yet another reason to be a runner

The profoundness of the thoughts that pop into my head while I'm running amaze me.  What is it about endorphins that produce the most wonderful, or most intelligent, or craziest, or strangest thoughts?

Some of my most creative (and downright awesome) scientific experiments have come out of my runs.  I guess another part of my brain becomes engaged in the scientific process, and I start thinking of experiments that really shouldn't be valid, but turn out to be awesome.

I was out for a tempo run on Monday on the RCT, and I was majorly hitting a wall and struggling to keep my pace.  I happened to be on a bridge crossing the creek, and what pops into my head? "A wall turned sideways in a bridge."  Pretty profound, huh?

And yesterday night, while doing a quick run in my neighborhood (under the stars!), I come up with "If you choked a smurf, what color would he turn?"  hahaha, he can't turn blue, right?  

See what I mean?  Crazy, profound, and strange all wrapped into one. 

All of that said, the profoundness of others also really amazes me.  Emaad and I have long talked about my giving him some swimming help this summer so he can not drown when trying to do a triathlon.  During a run on the CCT, he was telling Ken and I about how he just can't float.  After a little discussion, he came to the conclusion - "Yeah, I need boobs."  HAHA

Profound at its very best :)

Anyone else have any profound, crazy, wonderful or just plain strange thoughts while they run? Any fun ones to note?



2 comments:

runnerbabe24 said...

Yes, understood--- That's why I have written over 500 poems since I starting running in 1997.

Cara Marie said...

Everyone note that on the RCT this weekend (6/21/09), Mark, Ken and I decided that if you choke a smurf, he would turn pink.

HAHAHA