Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Help everyone! I'm in a slump!

Ok guys, I need some advice.  

I've been in a bit of a running slump since May 3rd's Frederick Marathon.  Right after the marathon, I pulled a hamstring, and took a week off.  Got back into it, and my achilles started yelling at me.  Took another week off.  Got back into it, and now I'm having motivation problems. I keep "scheduling" runs, but they never seem to happen.  I just can't motivate myself to get out there and run hard (or run at all, for that matter) right now.  At the Capital Crescent 5K on Sunday, I let Ken pass me in the last 0.25 miles of the race. Pitiful.  It's not pitiful that he passed me, but pitiful that I let him without a fight!  Until the 5K, I hadn't run since my "CM is a Wimp 11 miler" with Mark the Saturday beforehand!  I'm truly in a slump.  

And with XMP starting in 2 1/2 weeks, I can't afford to be in a slump.   I need some motivation help (Caren? Mark? Mary? Ted?), maybe some tough love (Ken?), maybe a kick in the butt (Ted?), maybe a joke about how he's in a slump as well (Emaad?).  I don't know ... but I need to get by butt moving if that 4 hour mark is going down in October! 

Please leave some motivation (there's a pink comments button at the end of the post for blog-newbies who have never done this before!).  I need some help, everyone! 


11 comments:

Mary E. said...

CM, it happens to the best of us. You put lots of energy into the Frederick marathon and you are having the typical down time that comes with the big events. An ironman can put you in a really bad 'I don't want to workout' spiral. Maybe what you should do it take a week off where you don't feel badly about it. Tell yourself it is a week to get caught up on other things, take walks, watch movies, whatever. Don't get down on yourself for not running. Then, tell yourself after that week you are going on a schedule. Write the first couple of weeks out during that 'week off' and it can really help focus you. Sometimes when we constantly are down on ourselves we don't get the off time we need and we all need off time especially when we are pushing our bodies to continually improve as you are. So, relish being lazy for a week then kick your butt out the door and stick to a schedule no matter what, even if that means running on a dreaded treadmill and make sure to check off each day you do what is on the schedule. It makes you feel good, put it on the fridge if you like. Seeing the checks will help motivate you to continue them, give yourself gold stars instead if you like. This is what works for me, sometimes when we can't get out the door our bodies are telling us to just slow down for a bit and enjoy not working out.

runnerbabe24 said...

Mary is right-- Years ago I once decided I wanted to totally give up running for no particular reason....in the middle of a 15 mile race in Alexandria!! LOL--

Basically (after I finished it) I decided that I lost my motivation to run and at the advice of a friend took a few days off (unheard of for me), spending that time writing and thinking about what running means to me. I remember I actually wrote brief statements about it out on a list.
Running brings me joy.. etc.

After seeing it all in print, I started to get excited about getting out there and running and when I did ---after that short break --it felt so great.

Why not go for a swim--- or take an easy walk? It will give you time to recharge. You need to listen to your body and when you do, you will always make the right choices as to when to rest or push hard.

Most of all-- despite what you might feel about always training-- LOL---you are not a professionally paid runner--- so it's okay to "not show up for work" some days!

See you soon on the roads--

Christina

zhurnaly said...

Suck it up, cupcake! (^_^)

Cara Marie said...

What a mix of responses! Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Mary,

I really like the idea of posting a schedule and checking off/crossing off each day. Maybe if it's visible, I'll be more likely to get my butt out the door when I'm dragging. I think I'm going to do that :)

Christina,

Another fantastic idea. Maybe for the time being, instead of trying to cram in the miles to get ready for XMP, I can substitute in a swim for one of my workouts. Or a spinning class. I'm actually going spinning this evening (and the instructor is about as sadistic as they come!).

Cara Marie said...

Mark,

Folks, can you believe I just got called a cupcake?!

To his credit, I was very much in cupcake mode (or teddy bear mode) on Sunday ... I was just letting people pass me without the slightest bit of a fight!

'Nuff said. This cupcake is showing up on Saturday morning for 12 (maybe 14) miles with you, Kate and Mary.

Bring it!

runnerbabe24 said...

If he calls you "cupcake" you can call him Santa-- we have mega photo evidence of this from AOR.

Christina

Mical said...

Hey CM- I don't claim to know what I'm talking about but I think you need (and deserve!) a mental break. Just chill these next 2 weeks. You won't get out of shape. Run/walk/swim whatever if you feel like it, when you feel like it. XMP will provide you plenty of motivation when it starts. Nothing like hill repeats at 90 degrees to get you out of the slump, right? Anyway, I'd look at the program as a fresh start on a training cycle and go into it mentally rested, at least. Good luck! :)

Cara Marie said...

Haha

Christina, I think we have a lot of photos to justify calling him Santa. Although, I think he looks more like the guy from ZZ Top :)

See http://zhurnaly.com/cgi-bin/wiki/American_Odyssey_Relay_2009

For the photo that Christina is talking about!

Cara Marie said...

Hmmm....

Hill repeats at the Mormon Temple in 90 degree weather at 6:30 in the morning.

Sounds like a blast, doesn't it?!

:)

Emaad Burki said...

Cupcake? I'm think more along the lines of a beignet.

You'll be fine. Think of Ken kicking your butt and the anger should do the rest.

Emaad

zhurnaly said...

I've gotta concur with Mary & Christina & Mical --- you may need a recovery/variety break for a week or two before XMP jump-starts your mitochondria (^_^) ...

And as Chris suggests, while recovering you should think about long-term goals ... e.g., sub-2 half-marathon, sub-4 marathon, sub-10 JFK, whatever ... one goal that I recommend is "To run so many marathons that I lose count!"

Don't commit just yet to Saturday mileage on the W&OD, btw --- it's a long drive and you really need to listen to your body now, esp., coming off hamstring & achilles tendon "issues" ... we can do the W&OD at greater length together whenever you like, you know! - ^z