Friday, May 8, 2009

Pikes Peek 10K

Note to self: When your fastest mile time (EVER) is a 7:21, don't take out a 10K in a 7:30.  It's just not smart!  

And that was the story of the Pikes Peek 10K on April 26th (I know, I'm a little behind on the blog posting...).  It was a little too unseasonably warm (75 degrees at the start!) for April, and I think that took a bit of a toll on my run.  Just the week before, we had a freeze warning, and I just haven't had the acclimation period needed to get used to running in 75 degree weather.  But hey, that's the risk of running in April/May in Maryland, right?

I took the race out WAY too fast.  I was shocked when my watch said 7:31 for the first mile, and I thought to myself - "Uh, oh..."  And "Uh, oh..." was about right.  My second mile was a 7:45, which is still a little too fast for me right now for a 10K, and I couldn't hold onto that pace.  It was a fly-and-die folks!!  Let's do the math ... the first mile was a 7:30, the second mile was a 7:45 - that's a 7:37 average for the first 2 miles.  My final 10K average was 8:16.   It was a beautiful fly-and-die run.  Not my best fly-and-die, but one well worth noting :)

And actually, it was a PR for me - 51:17.  Can't be unhappy with that!  And I had fun, and after being a bit lazy for a week or so, I got some confidence for the Frederick Marathon that I would be running the next week.

Another note to self ... "Net downhill" can be a little deceiving.  If we run uphill 100 feet, and downhill 101 feet, we're still "net downhill," right?  I'm not exactly sure how "net downhill" Pikes Peek is, but I didn't think that hill at Congressional Plaza was a cupcake.  Or the hill at Montrose Road for that matter...  

Maybe the first two miles were extra downhill, which might explain why I felt the need to be speed racer during those miles! 

All in all - good race, and I had a lot of fun! :)  

An amusing fact .... I ran from Shady Grove to White Flint faster than I can drive it most days, haha.  Now that's funny!


2 comments:

zhurnaly said...

excellent run, CM --- now, as soon as you get proper pacing figured out ... (^_^) ... ((and congrats on Frederick --- still looking forward to your report from there!

Cara Marie said...

hahahaha, I'm not sure I'll ever get proper pacing figured out. I'm all over the map sometimes!

No worries ... Frederick report to come very soon!