2010 New Years Resolution: Keep up with my blog!
I just got back from a week at Snowbird, Utah. My first comment is: I love scientific conferences. It's really like summer camp for scientists. We had a morning session, and then a 6 hour break for recreation, and then an evening session. I could hardly believe that they gave us a full 6 hour break.
I did some skiing (for the first time ever!), I also did some running while I was up in the mountains. All I have to say about that: WOW! Spectacularly beautiful, and hard as hell. My runs up there made our hills around here look totally trivial. Not to mention the altitude made things pretty difficult ... my second day up there, I ran 3 miles, and it seriously felt like a 10-miler. By the end of the trip, a 3-miler didn't feel like more than a 3-miler, so I guess I got used to it. But it was really exhilarating to run through the mountains - the scenery was just spectacular. I felt like an ant as I moved in between the mountains, and it was cool to watch everyone skiing down the slopes.
5 comments:
running at altitude is excellent training ... but as a grad student at a conference you SHOULD fence off some time to schmooze with folks in other schools, make contacts, get your face seen, etc., in case you want to go for postdoc or other appointments elsewhere in a few years ... (^_^) ...
Hi C.M.
Glad you had a good time in Utah! Running in that altitude is different and harder. Guess you must have had fun on the slopes and was wondering if you took any lessons? ( being a 1st timer) Anyway glad you are back and posting again!
Mark,
No worries. I did a fair amount of schmoozing with other grad students, postdocs and PIs. After all, everyone was out skiing with me!! :) And we ended early in the evening, would have dinner together and then most of the time would go up to the bar for a few drinks and talk. So lots of schmoozing!
John,
Yup, took a few lessons. I actually didn't go out on the slopes without an instructor. It was fun - I went from "how to put on your skiis" lessons to bunny slopes to black slopes all in the same trip! I watched my life flash before my eyes on those black slopes, haha.
Thanks for the comments! :)
CM
Dear C.M.
I never know where you will be. I'm glad you enjoyed Utah, Conference & relaxing time. Know that you probably absorbed much.
LOL, no one ever knows where I am anymore!
Thanks for the comment, Mare. I'll call you in the next few days. It's been crazy around here just trying to get back to normal. Ironic, huh?
Post a Comment